Victoria has recorded 19 new local COVID-19 cases as the state enters its second day of lockdown.
A range of new exposure sites have been listed, including a superhero movie screening and a university campus.
There are now 54 active cases in the state.
READ MORE: Popular Marvel movie screening a Tier One exposure site in Victoria
All the new cases are linked to the current outbreak.
A total of 47,606 people were tested yesterday, along with 19,237 vaccines administered.
Premier Daniel Andrews said yesterday the new infections justified the need for the tough new restrictions.
"Last time, we were able to bring a more complex series of chains of transmission under control and I am very confident that our contact tracing team in partnership with every single Victorian playing their part, we will be able to do the same again," he said.
Mr Andrews acknowledged the impact of the lockdown on businesses and workers, announcing those who lost hours due to the new rules would receive disaster payments even if the lockdown did not pass seven days.
READ MORE: Victoria's 'fleeting transmission' concerns
He said it was a "positive" outcome from discussions with Prime Minister Scott Morrison.
"Those benefits will apply regardless of the five-day lockdown as opposed to the seven-day trigger point that had been foreshadowed by the Commonwealth," Mr Andrews said.
There are currently just five essential reasons Victorians are permitted to leave their homes, including work, buying food, care responsibilities, exercise and getting a COVID-19 vaccine.
This is Victoria's fifth major lockdown since the pandemic began, with today's latest infection numbers coming as the state grapples with a growing number of exposure sites.
READ MORE: New school-related cases of COVID-19 in Victoria
The latest outbreak is believed to be a result of three removalists who drove from NSW to South Australia, stopping in Victoria on the way, and a family who moved from Sydney to Melbourne and broke quarantine rules.
Furniture removalists from red zones have now been barred from entering Victoria for at least two weeks.
The current lockdown is set to end at midnight Tuesday, but Mr Andrews has warned it is too early to predict what will happen.
from 9News https://ift.tt/3wIxfex
via IFTTT

0 Comments